Green apples are naturally more acidic than other varieties, with a crisp, sharp taste. Combined with the aromatic and warm qualities of ginger and the floral fragrance of yuzu, the tang of the apple gives a spark to this infusion of flavours.
Makes: 700 ml (23 1/2 fl oz)
Takes: 10 minutes, plus 4-5 days to infuse
- 2 green apples, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cm (1 in) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 700 ml (23 1/2 fl oz) unflavoured vodka
- 1 tablespoon yuzu juice
- Put the sliced apple and ginger in a sterilised 1 litre (34 fl oz) glass jar or bottle and pour over the vodka. Seal the jar tightly and store in a cool, dark place for 3 days, gently shaking the jar occasionally to help infuse the flavours.
- After 3 days, add the yuzu juice and leave to continue infusing. After 1-2 days, strain the vodka through a fine-mesh sieve into a large jug, and discard the apple and ginger. Strain again through a fine-mesh sieve lined with a muslin (cheesecloth) or a coffee filter. Transfer to one large or several smaller sterilised glass bottles and seal tightly.
To make The Apple Blossom, serve a single measure (25 ml/ 3/4 fl oz) infused vodka with 1-2 teaspoons Simple Syrup, garnished with fresh apple slices and apple blossom flowers.
For an Apple Sparkle, combine 350 ml (12 fl oz) Green Apple, Ginger and Yuzu Vodka with iced sparkling water, fresh apple slices and mint sprigs in a jug.
Also from Infused Booze:
Recipes excerpted with permission from Infused Booze: Over 60 Batched Spirits and Liqueurs to Make at Home by Kathy Kordalis, published by Hardie Grant Books, May 2018, RRP $16.99 hardcover.