Chocolate Bourbon Recipe
Chocolate Bourbon comes from infusing bourbon with cacao and it makes the perfect affogato. Traditionally, Italians pour a shot of coffee over ice cream, to make a creamy coffee dessert but I like to use salted caramel ice cream, a shot of coffee and a shot of chocolate bourbon. Salty, sweet, boozy and chocolatey, all at once.
Makes: 700 ml (23 1/2 fl oz)
Takes: 10 minutes, plus 3 days to infuse
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised (optional)
- 700 ml (23 1/2 fl oz) bourbon
- Put the cacao nibs, maple syrup, vanilla pod and seeds and cardamom pods, if using, in a sterilised 1 litre (34 fl oz) glass jar or bottle and pour over the bourbon. Seal the jar tightly and store in a cool, dark place for 3 days, gently shaking the jar occasionally to help infuse the flavours.
- After 3 days, strain the bourbon through a fine-mesh sieve into a large jug, and discard the nibs and spices. Strain again through a fine-mesh sieve lined with a muslin (cheesecloth) or a coffee filter. Transfer to one large or several smaller sterilized glass bottles and seal tightly.
- For a Spiked Salted-Caramel Affogato, serve salted-caramel ice cream in a bowl or a serving glass with a shot of espresso and a shot of Chocolate Bourbon on the side for pouring over.
- To make a Cherry Chocolate Cocktail, mix 2 measures (50 ml/1 3/4 fl oz) infused bourbon with 50 ml (1 3/4 fl oz) Cherry Syrup (and 1-2 dashes Angostura bitters. Serve in a cocktail glass, garnished with a fresh cherry.
Also from Infused Booze:
Recipes excerpted with permission from Infused Booze: Over 60 Batched Spirits and Liqueurs to Make at Home by Kathy Kordalis, published by Hardie Grant Books, May 2018, RRP $16.99 hardcover.
The 3 Steps of Distilling Alcohol
All about the 3 major steps in the alcohol distillation process.
Vodka Infusions Recipes
Use these six simple recipes, featuring flavor-rich ingredients, to create unique and creative additions to your mixed drinks.
Create a smoky, intense twist on this Italian lemon liqueur by charring the lemons before infusing them with vodka.