Tacos are a favorite food for many of us, so this “meat” will come in handy for quick meals. It’s also great in burritos, over salad or simply scooped up with chips.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb (500 g) tempeh, chopped
- 4 tsp (20 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1-1⁄2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) ready-to-use reduced-sodium vegetable broth or Homemade Veggie Stock
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until starting to sizzle. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and tempeh; cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until tempeh is browned and starting to stick. Sprinkle with chili powder, paprika, oregano and salt; stir, then stir in broth. Cook, stirring, until pan is nearly dry.
- Transfer tempeh to an airtight container, let cool completely and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Tip: Chop the tempeh to make a texture similar to ground beef. If you have a food processor, you can use the steel blade to pulse cubed tempeh into a chunky mince.
Variation: If you like spicier tacos, substitute 1 tsp (5 mL) chipotle chile powder (or to taste) for the smoked paprika.
Makes 8 servings (about 4 cups/1 L)
More from Vegan Meal Prep: A 5 Week Plan with 125 Ready-to-Go Recipes
Excerpted from Vegan Meal Prep: A 5 Week Plan with 125 Ready-to-Go Recipes by Robin Asbell. Text copyright © 2019 Robin Asbell. Published by Robert Rose, Inc. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved. Image is from Getty Images and does not appear in the book.