Giving up eggs needn’t mean giving up mayo. “Aquafaba” is the term for the water (aqua) left over from cooking beans (faba), and it’s a brilliant egg replacer. A base of creamy cashews and aquafaba, with lemon juice and plenty of olive oil, makes a pretty fair approximation of the mayo spread you grew up eating on your sandwiches. It’s also good for potato salads and other dishes that call for mayonnaise.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raw cashews
- Cold water
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) aquafaba (see tips)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Place cashews in a bowl and add enough cold water to cover. Soak for at least 6 hours or overnight. Drain well.
- In blender, combine cashews, salt, garlic powder, aquafaba, lemon juice and mustard; blend, starting on a low speed and increasing until cashews are smoothly puréed, scraping down the sides of the container as needed.
- Remove plug from lid and replace lid. Start on low speed, increase to high speed and blend for 4 minutes. At that point, start very slowly drizzling in canola oil in a thin stream. It should take a couple of minutes to incorporate it. Drizzle in olive oil the same way.
- Scrape mayo into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week. It will thicken more as it chills.
- When you cook chickpeas or use a can of chickpeas, save the aquafaba in 1/4-cup (60 mL) portions in the freezer for making this mayo.
- If using aquafaba from canned chickpeas, purchase unsalted chickpeas or use half as much salt in the recipe.
- Garlic Aïoli: Add a clove of crushed garlic at the end of step 3 and pulse to blend.
- Red Pepper Aïoli: Add 1/2 roasted red pepper, drained, at the end of step 3 and pulse to blend.
More from Vegan Meal Prep: A 5 Week Plan with 125 Ready-to-Go Recipes
Excerpted from Vegan Meal Prep: A 5 Week Plan with 125 Ready-to-Go Recipes by Robin Asbell. Text copyright © 2019 Robin Asbell. Published by Robert Rose, Inc. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved. Image is from Getty Images and does not appear in the book.