Traditional miso soup uses dashi, a stock made from seaweed and dried fish. This vegan version uses vegetable broth for a fish-free flavorful base. You’ll be using roasted carrots when you make it to accompany the sushi bowls in Week 5, but in the future, you can use any vegetable you have lying about. Miso is famous for containing active probiotics and enzymes, which is why you simply stir it in and don’t let it boil, so you get the full benefits.
- 4 cups (1 L) ready-to-use reduced-sodium vegetable broth or Homemade Veggie Stock
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped roasted carrots
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated gingerroot
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) white miso
- 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) water
- Pour broth into a large pot and place over high heat. Add green onions, carrots and ginger; bring to a vigorous boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are warmed through.
- Meanwhile, place miso and vinegar in a cup and stir in water, mashing miso to make a smooth paste.
- Turn off heat and stir miso mixture into pot. Serve immediately or let cool completely.
- To store, transfer cooled soup to airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat gently, just until hot, to preserve the miso.
- Misos range from mild white and yellow to darker brown. Darker miso is stronger-tasting, so if you substitute it, you’ll want to use a little less.
- Serve topped with 1 sheet of crumbled nori, divided among the bowls, if desired. If storing the soup before serving, wait to add the nori until right before serving.
- This recipe is very scalable, so go ahead and double it if you want to serve more people.
Variation: Try this recipe with ready-to-use mushroom broth in place of the vegetable broth and sautéed mushrooms in place of the carrots, for a deeply flavorful mushroom miso soup.
Makes 4 servings (about 5 cups/1.25 L)
More from Vegan Meal Prep: A 5 Week Plan with 125 Ready-to-Go Recipes
Excerpted from Vegan Meal Prep: A 5 Week Plan with 125 Ready-to-Go Recipes by Robin Asbell. Text copyright © 2019 Robin Asbell. Published by Robert Rose, Inc. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved. Image is from Getty Images and does not appear in the book.