Lychee Vinegar Recipe
Photo from All Day Cocktails/Gavin Green
This recipe comes to us via a buddy of Nick’s, chef Mike Layfield, who he worked with during his stint at Lûmé https://restaurantlume.com/. Mike was in charge of all things fermented at the restaurant and has since moved on to start Felds Farm with his wife, Lauren, just outside of Hobart. Lychee and vinegar are a match made in heaven; the sweet, floral flavours of the lychee are brought back by the funky tartness of the vinegar. You’ll need to start this recipe about six weeks ahead.
Makes approximately 1 litre (34 fl oz/4 cups)
- 200 g (7 oz) raw honey
- 1 kg (2 lb 3 oz) lychees
- 1 vinegar mother (see Note)
- Combine the honey with 800 ml (27 fl oz) water in a saucepan and heat over a low heat to combine.
- Crush the lychees in a sterilised preserving jar and pour the honey water on top. Cover with a piece of muslin (cheesecloth) and leave to ferment for 2 weeks (or until it has stopped bubbling). Strain into a clean glass jar and add the vinegar mother. Seal and leave to sit for a further 4 weeks to allow the alcohol to turn into vinegar. Compost your lychees. The vinegar will last for up to 6 months.
Note: You can buy vinegar mothers at health-food stores.
For another day:
- Salad dressing. Mix equal parts lychee vinegar, oil and lemon.
- Make lychee lemonade (lemon soda). Add just a splash.
- Tropical fruit salad. Mix with equal parts condensed milk and pour over your tropical fruit salad.
Also from All Day Cocktails:
Recipes excerpted with permission from All Day Cocktails: Low (and No) Alcohol Magic by Shaun Byrne and Nick Tesar. Hardie Grant, August 2019, RRP $24.99 Hardcover.
Pomegranate Relish Recipe Fermented with Honey
Enjoy pomegranate season with this versatile relish recipe. Use it to top seasonal turkey dishes, your favorite sweet treats, or in festive drinks.
Vodka Infusions Recipes
Use these six simple recipes, featuring flavor-rich ingredients, to create unique and creative additions to your mixed drinks.
Create a smoky, intense twist on this Italian lemon liqueur by charring the lemons before infusing them with vodka.