Pineapple and Pink Peppercorn Mulled Wine Recipe
I love spiced mulled wine! Especially when there are chunks of spiced and wine-soaked fruit to enjoy too. Experiment with your favorite fruit — stone fruit also work really well.
- 1 (750 ml) bottle Rioja (red wine)
- 2−3 cup diced pineapple
- 4 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 4 star anise
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 10 Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 3/4 cup orange or clementine juice
- Sliced orange/clementine, cinnamon sticks and pink peppercorns, to garnish
Medium saucepan, Muslin, Serving pitcher, and 4 heatproof glasses
- Pour the Rioja into a saucepan and add the pineapple, coconut sugar, star anise, and cinnamon sticks.
- Cut a small square of muslin and place the black peppercorns, cardamom pods, Szechuan peppercorns, pink peppercorns, and cloves in the center of the cloth. Tie up with a piece of string and add to the saucepan. Place on a medium heat and bring up to a low simmer then leave to simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir through the orange or clementine juice.
- Divide between the glasses and add a slice of orange or clementine to each. Add half a cinnamon stick and one star anise to each glass.
- Sprinkle with pink peppercorns and serve.
More from Cocktails with Benefits:
Cover courtesy of Kyle Books
Excerpted with permission from Cocktails with Benefitsby Nicole Herft, published by Kyle Books. Photography by Nassima Rothacker.
Winter Squash and Kohlrabi Kimchi Recipe
Make a kimchi that both complex in texture and taste by incorporating winter squash and kohlrabi into the recipe.
The Fabric of Fermentation: Kombucha Couture
Think kombucha is just for drinking? Check out how one fashion designer is using SCOBYs to craft sustainable, environmentally friendly fabric.
The 3 Steps of Distilling Alcohol
All about the 3 major steps in the alcohol distillation process.