Fermented Vegetables: Cucumbers
Makes 1 quart
- 3 cups cucumbers, sliced lengthwise into halves or quarters
- 1/2 small onion, sliced or chopped into small chunks
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon horseradish root, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons whey
- Salt water to cover (1 tablespoon salt per quart of water)
- Combine vegetables, spices and whey in a large bowl. Gradually add mixture to the crock. Add weighting stones and push down firmly.
- Top off with sterile, chlorine-free salt water to cover stones by 1 inch. Ferment at room temperature for 10 days; store in cool place. Ready in 3 weeks.
Michael O’Brien studied biochemistry at Colorado State University. Previously an electrical engineer, he now operates a “dryland” landscaping company and also enjoys organic gardening. His goal is to understand and promote healthy lifestyles.
Winter Squash and Kohlrabi Kimchi Recipe
Make a kimchi that both complex in texture and taste by incorporating winter squash and kohlrabi into the recipe.
The Fabric of Fermentation: Kombucha Couture
Think kombucha is just for drinking? Check out how one fashion designer is using SCOBYs to craft sustainable, environmentally friendly fabric.
The 3 Steps of Distilling Alcohol
All about the 3 major steps in the alcohol distillation process.