- 150 g blanched almonds
- 150 ml rejuvelac
- 100 ml water
Makes about 270 ml
- Put all the ingredients in a high-powered mixer and blend until you have a fine, creamy mixture. Pour the mixture into a jar. Do not fill more than three-quarters full as the crème fraiche will increase in volume during the fermentation process.
- Put a cheesecloth on the jar, fix with a rubber band and leave to ferment in a warm place. Avoid direct sunlight.
- Depending on your room temperature, the fermentation process will take approximately 16 hours in summer, and longer in winter. Using a clean spoon, taste from time to time to see if it has reached the required acidity.
- Put the crème fraiche in the refrigerator and chill for a few hours. The mixture will become a little thicker in the refrigerator. Stir the crème fraiche through before using. It will reduce slightly in volume as a result.
- This fermented crème fraiche can be kept in the refrigerator for about three days.
More from Homemade Vegan Cheese Yoghurt and Milk:
Reprinted with permission from Homemade Vegan Cheese, Yoghurt and Milk by Yvonne Hölzl-Singh and published by Grub Street, 2018.