Effervescent Peach Soda
Peaches lend a soft and sweet flavor to kefir soda and the pulp helps the soda get very effervescent! After this beverage undergoes secondary fermentation, be very careful when opening the air-tight bottles, especially if they are flip-cap bottles. Pressure will build during secondary fermentation and may result in the soda fizzing over when opening if the bottles are left for too long at room temperature.
- 2 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 cups water kefir (page 134)
- Add chopped peaches and water to a small saucepan. Cover it and cook on medium until it comes to a full boil.
- Reduce temperature to a gentle boil, leaving the pan covered until peaches lose their form entirely, about 30 minutes. Mash the peaches and stir the fruit occasionally to help the process and cook uncovered for the last 10 minutes to help reduce the mixture. You want the substance to be thick and fairly smooth, but a little chunkiness is okay.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Remove the pan from heat and allow the peach mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a pitcher or jug, combine the peach mixture with the water kefir and stir well.
- Pour into sealable bottles and leave the bottles sealed at room temperature for two to three days for secondary fermentation.
- Place bottles in the refrigerator to stop the fermentation.
- If your soda has small chunks of peaches or pulp, you can strain the beverage prior to drinking. Serve cold and enjoy!
More from Delicious Probiotic Drinks:
Excerpted from Delicious Probiotic Drinks: 75 Recipes for Kombucha, Kefir, Ginger Beer, and Other Naturally Fermented Drinksby Julia Mueller, with permission from Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. Copyright 2014 by Julia Mueller. Photographs by Julia Mueller.
Winter Squash and Kohlrabi Kimchi Recipe
Make a kimchi that both complex in texture and taste by incorporating winter squash and kohlrabi into the recipe.
The Fabric of Fermentation: Kombucha Couture
Think kombucha is just for drinking? Check out how one fashion designer is using SCOBYs to craft sustainable, environmentally friendly fabric.
The 3 Steps of Distilling Alcohol
All about the 3 major steps in the alcohol distillation process.