Photo by Adobe Stock
- 5 lb. Danish cut pork loin (boneless, with skin on)
- 3.5 oz. sea salt
- 1.75 oz. Chinese five spice
- 0.2 oz. Cure #2
- 2 oz. flour
- 0.5 oz. dispersed koji spores
Homemade Chinese Five Spice
- 6 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tsp crushed anise
- 1.5 tsp crushed fennel seed
- 1.5 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Combine all five-spice ingredients and grind together well. Store in a cool place in an opaque bottle.
- Combine all the cure ingredients and use half of the cure mixture to cover the surface of the loin. Seal and cure in the refrigerator for 9 days, then remove and add the remaining cure mixture to the loin. Seal again and cure for another 9 days, overhauling at even intervals.
- Remove the lomo from the cure and place in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the koji spores and the flour, then cover the meat generously with the flour mixture. Culture in your koji incubator at 85-88°F and 90-95 percent relative humidity for 48 hours, or until the koji is established.
- Hang the loin in your charcuterie cabinet at 50 - 60°F and 65 percent relative humidity until it has lost 40-50 percent of its weight. Slice thinly to serve.
Cover Courtesy of New Society Publishers
More from Pure Charcuterie:
Reprinted with permission from Pure Charcuterie by Meredith Leigh and published by New Society Publishers.