Spicy Fermented Eggs Recipe
Fermented eggs have a slight pickled taste, but it’s not as strong as pickled eggs. Plus, they are healthy for you! So, don’t knock ’em until you try ’em. The eggs partner well with salads, and they’re great protein snacks. Trust me, when you finally make fermented farm-fresh eggs, you will love them. Truth.
- 15 farm-fresh chicken eggs or 30 quail eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon starter or 1/4 cup whey (I like to use a brine starter from pickled items)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/8 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 sliced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- Steam the fresh eggs for 21 minutes (11 minutes if using quail eggs).
- Immediately submerge the eggs in ice water once done steaming.
- Mix the starter culture (or whey) and salt into the water, stirring until everything dissolves. Generally, you don’t need a starter to begin the fermenting process; however, since we are working with cooked eggs, to prevent spoilage, I favor using a starter instead of letting nature take its course.
- Into a quart-size jar, add the peeled steamed eggs, peppercorns, garlic, dill, and jalapeño peppers.
- Pour the brine over the eggs and other ingredients, making sure to completely cover the eggs. A weight will be needed to hold down the eggs.
- Add a fermenting lid, and allow the eggs to ferment for 3 days on the counter. Fermented eggs will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. If they begin to smell funky, you know they are not good to consume. Trust me, if they go bad, you will be able to tell!
Also from The Farm Girl’s Guide to Preserving the Harvest:
Get fermentation tools from our online store!
Reprinted with permission from The Farm Girl’s Guide to Preserving the Harvest: How to Can, Freeze, Dehydrate, and Ferment Your Garden’s Goodnessby Ann Accetta-Scott and published by Lyons Press, 2019.
Simple Fermented Bok Choy Recipe
Use this pickle on a veggie burger or make it using cabbage, radish, daikon, kohl rabi or other leafy Asian greens.
The 3 Steps of Distilling Alcohol
All about the 3 major steps in the alcohol distillation process.
Water Kefir: a Delicious Probiotic Beverage
Try using the delicious probiotic beverage that’s both cost effective, easy to make at home, and an excellent Gatorade and soda replacement.