Photo by Adobe Stock
- Ferment at cool room temperature, 60 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit
- Fermentation time: 3 days
- 4 think slices yellow onion
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 3 cups beet kvass
Photo from Adobe Stock
- Place 2 slices of the onion and 3 of the allspice berries in the bottom of a 2-quart glass canning jar.
- Add the peeled eggs, the remaining 2 slices of onion, and 3 allspice berries.
- Pour the kvass over the eggs. Add filtered water if necessary to bring the liquid level within 1 inch of the top.
- Seal the jar and let ferment in a cool, dark spot, 60 to 65 degrees F, until you can see bubbles forming, about 2 days. (If your kitchen is warmer than the suggested temperatures, you can let the eggs ferment completely in the refrigerator. It will take about 4 days.)
- Transfer the jar to the refrigerator.
- The eggs can be eaten immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
More from Fermentation for Beginners:
Reprinted with permission from Fermentation for Beginners: The Step-by-Step Guide to Fermentation and Probiotic Foods by Drakes Press and published by Drakes Press, 2013.