Kimchi soup is a true comfort food for Koreans. A food cuddle that cures all types of homesickness. Want to make the kimchi soup vegetarian? Swap the meat for more tofu and use a vegetarian stock.
- 200 g pork collar (or pork butt; about 1/2 pound)
- 250 g firm tofu (9 ounces)
- 600–800 g sliced Chinese leaf kimchi (about 20-30 ounces Napa cabbage kimchi)
- 800 ml water (3-1/2 cups)
- 100 g chopped leek or salad onion (1 small leek)
- Approx. 1 tbsp sesame oil
- cooking oil for frying
- Cut the pork collar into thin strips and the tofu into cubes or thick domino tiles.
- Brown off the meat in some oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the kimchi and fry for about another 5 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and leave the soup to simmer without a lid for about 10 minutes.
- Add leek and tofu, leave to simmer for a minute or so more. Finish off by adding sesame oil to taste. Serve with a bowl of rice on the side.