Photo by iStock/Getty Images Plus/a_namenko
Makes 1 pint
Brilliant green Genovese basil liqueur is a traditional after-dinner drink in Apulia and Liguria, Italy.
- 30 leaves fresh Genovese basil
- 1-1/2 cups vodka
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine basil and vodka in a clean glass jar. Cover and let stand in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks, giving the mixture a shake every few days.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Boil until sugar has completely dissolved. Let cool.
- Strain the vodka mixture through a coffee filter into a clean jar or bottle with an airtight lid. Sweeten to taste with the sugar syrup.
- Cover and let stand overnight, or store in a cool, dark place up to 1 year.
Leah A. Zeldes is food editor of Chicago’s Lerner Newspapers.
Click here for the original article Homemade Liqueurs with Herbs.